Crockett and Tubbs

I have worked as a video switcher for 6 or 7 years now, but so sporadically it is hard to improve my skills.
I felt the last time I switched at Ribfest I was the most comfortable in my abilities. Then last night I saw this video.

When the drums kick in at the 3:37 mark, I saw the most insane switching I have ever seen. I believe there was three cameras focused on the drummer. The amazing part isn’t that the cuts are on the drum beats, it’s that there is a regular cut to a different camera and then a jump cut zoom from the same camera shot before the next beat. There are 11 cuts in this sequence, a camera switch then a jump cut (zoom). This is fantastic and I have no idea how they pulled this off live. Here is the sequence of cuts.
airtonight

This is just so much fun.  Cut to shot 1, zoom into shot 2, cut to shot 3, zoom into shot 4 etc.

At shot 8, it jump cuts back out a little bit. Cuts to 10 then to the 4th camera and the rest of the band is back in mix.

There must be a preset zoom amount controlled with one button, or maybe a touch screen that the switcher can control with one hand while switching cameras with the other.  Must find out how they did this I haven’t seen this ability on any switcher before.