DS106

So I tried my hand at broadcasting on DS106 for the first time. Brian Lamb and I have been doing a show on Sundays as a tribute to the wonderful ladies of FemEdtech. What started out as just a playlist I was going to share turned into Brian channeling Bill O’Reily
Next thing I know I was Skyped in with Brian and doing a live radio show where we traded off playing songs. I have been choosing songs that are in regular rotation or have been special to me in someway. Songs that are created by amazing women. And its has been so fun.

Of course I have always wanted to do a radio show and now in Covid-19 lockdown I have the time and the tools to do so. My on air banter is not great yet. Brian is so smooth on air and has lots of great things to say. I usually just parrot him and say “amazing” a lot, or fumble through some half remembered story about a particular song. Here is our first session.

So one night after a few beers when the rest of the household was tucked in, I tuned into ds106rad.io to hear Jim Groom. Playing some killer tracks. I heard him say he was going for a morning walk with his dog and the feed would be free. So I powered up the laptop and thought I would play a couple songs just so I could see if my AudioHijack recipe would work.
I ended up playing about an hour.

At first I randomly played songs from iTunes, and then I quickly made a playlist and then adjusted volumes when I wanted to talk.

I was using my AirPods and when I took one out it cut the feed on the recording. Not sure if the listeners heard the dead air. I realized right away so in the recording you can hear a couple dead air spots near the end. Need to look at the AudioHijack recipe to see what I did wrong. Although next time I will use my regular headphones and Sennheiser mic instead.

My longtime friend in Vancouver wants to do a show with me, so I think we will do that. He actually did a show at UBC when he was an undergrad. And I have a pretty specific idea of what my solo show will be like. So now I just have to figure out the when.

Here are the songs I played

Avril 14 – Aphex Twin
Remember Ash – cEvin Key
Father Don’t Cry – Doubting Thomas
When Doves Cry – Apollonia and the Twilight Singers
Unovis On A Stick – Skinny Puppy
A Strange Day – The Cure
Tutti – Cosey Fanni Tutti
Like Eating Glass – Bloc Party
Baptisim – Crystal Castles
To Burn Your World – Youth Code
Darkangel – VNV Nation
Square Hammer – Ghost
Smothered Hope – Skinny Puppy